Tuesday, May 12, 2009

One Lucky Man

Dave and I were eating dinner last night and in the middle of the meal I blurted out, "Do you know how lucky you are?"

You see, we were enjoying a wonderful dish of homemade enchiladas and just the day before I whipped up the most delicious steak marinade. How many newly-married men eat so well as does my Dave? He is truly blessed to have such a culinarily creative wife.

I won't bore you with pictures today (someone recently told me I have been going on and on with photos - but I like them!). Instead, I'm going to share with you my top secret recipes so you can amaze your loved ones as well.

Sunday Steak Marinade
- Black Pepper, coarsely ground, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Onion Powder, to taste
- Garlic Powder, to taste
- Sage, to taste
- Ground Mustard, to taste
- Olive Oil, just enough to wet the seasoning blend

This should make a nice seasoning paste. Spread evenly over your steaks and let them sit for 10 minutes. (Be sure to cover the meat and refrigerate it if you don't grill it right away.)

During the marinade time, cut up some of your favorite vegetables (potatoes, carrots, peppers, onions, etc.), toss them in olive oil with salt and pepper (and any other spices that suit your fancy), and roast them in a 425 degree oven. With a temperature that high it only takes 15-20 minutes to cook them through.

Now is your chance to let the hubby help make dinner. Send him out to the grill to cook up the raw meat. While he is out becoming one with the BBQ, sneak yourself some of that chocolate you have hidden in the back of the pantry. He'll never know. Or you could tear up a head of lettuce and tomatoes for a salad. You choose.

Enjoy one of the best steak marinades you've ever had with healthy vegetables and salad!


Monday Enchiladas
- Ground Beef
- Kidney Beans
- Frozen Corn
- Sour Cream
- Flour Tortillas
- Tomato Sauce
- Taco Seasoning
- Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Lettuce
- Tomatoes
- more Sour Cream

This one has a few more steps so hang on. Cook up the beef on the stove then add the beans and corn. Stir in a couple of heaping spoonfuls of sour cream to the hot mixture -- I think this was the secret ingredient to the meal.

Take a tortilla, sprinkle on some cheese, then a good serving of the meat; roll tightly and place in a greased baking dish. Repeat this for all the tortillas or until the meat is gone.

In a separate bowl mix the tomato sauce and taco seasoning. I buy my taco seasoning in the big Costco jar so it's hard to say how much I used but if I had to guess I would think it was the equivalent of two envelopes. You may also want to add a little water to thin out the liquid. Pour it over the rolled enchiladas, drenching them through and through. Add some more cheese to the top, cover with foil, and heat it up in a 350 degree oven.

While it bakes, tear up some more lettuce and tomatoes (or use whatever was left over from last night's steak dinner). Once the dish is heated through, serve it up with lettuce, tomato, and sour cream to garnish. Again, you have made one memorable yet simple meal!


Now, see if your family really appreciates how great of a cook you are by cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. Don't be afraid to use the "I've slaved in the kitchen all day just for you!" line. It usually works. Unless you are married to Dave -- he often finds a way out of kitchen duty.


I couldn't help it, I had to add just one picture.
Photo Credits

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Please send over the leftovers. . .I don't have patience to go shopping with children for any ingredients, and our fridge is bare!

Annie said...

keep posting the recipes...you are an amazing cook, and some of us need all the inspiration we can get!

Jenny Jensen said...

the recipes look yummy!!! When Logan and I were first married, I used to cook like that too for him. Now half the time I make him fend for himself, or I "make" cereal...I should do better ;)

Aly said...

Yes, Dave is lucky to have such a domesticated wife. Poor Matt, he really got the short end of the stick. I liked cooking for him when we first got married but that lasted only about a month and it was probably only once or twice a week.