Saturday, August 9, 2008

Staycationing in Utah

Have you ever been on a Staycation? I took one just this past week, right here in Utah. We did all of the fun things you would and could do on a vacation: site-seeing, shopping, swimming, amusement parks, etc. Sometimes it's amazing to realize what you have in your own backyard to keep you entertained.


The first destination on our staycation was to Park City where me and the sisters spent several hours combing through the shops of the Tanger Outlet mall to find the best deals. I must say that we came away with some very good buys.




Next I did a little site-seeing alone on Temple Square in Salt Lake City and enjoyed a session at the temple...where after the session I saw the best site of all -- the very cute and available security guard I've had an eye on for months. We chatted for a while and I made him late for his session (oops!).




No Utah Staycation would be complete without a trip to Farmington's Lagoon with the family. I understand this amusement park hasn't been quite as busy as in years past so lines at the rides are short. However, you must beware of slow-moving ride operators who shuffle from one person to the next, checking and double-checking safety restraints. Reassuring but annoying.




On day 4 of my staycation I accompanied the parents for more site-seeing and shopping and a visit with some very special people. We began at Cabelas in Lehi where we stopped to feed the fish and ran into deer, elk, bears, moose, a variety of African mammals, and even a stuffed man in the big game section. From there we moved on to Ikea of Draper where we dined and learned how to decorate the house on a budget. I took the opportunity to fill a bag full of things for my new townhouse and paid only $20.76. A bargain! Later we spent the evening with our brand new twin nephews. They made their first trip to Grandma and Grandpa's house on their 1-month birthday. It was a momentous occasion that Beijing was kind enough to celebrate with a grand pageant and fireworks display. How thoughtful!




It is an unwritten law that any type of vacation involve swimming so the final stop of the week's whirlwind staycation was to Layton Surf-n-Swim with the nieces and nephew. It's been a while since I was last surfing but we caught some great waves and I only fell over twice.



After a week of hitting so many attractions I am exhausted but thoroughly enriched and I can hardly wait for the next staycation to come along!

No comments: