Monday, June 1, 2009

Lessons in BBQ

My husband Dave is very excited about the grill out on the back porch. However, he has never learned how to BBQ--not a big Huffaker thing. So, I have been trying to teach him, one piece of meat at a time.

Last night I pulled some chicken out of the freezer, slathered on another great spice rub, gave Dave some brief instructions, and sent him outside to do his work. Once again, we came up with an amazing meal and we want to share it with you!


Spice Rub:
* Rosemary
* Ground Ginger
* Salt
* Black Pepper
* Olive Oil (to make a paste)

(I know it doesn't sound like these spices should go together but believe me, it was an amazing combination -- a virtual party in your mouth!)

I rubbed it all over the chicken and let it sit for about 10 minutes then Dave plopped it on the grill. He cooked it on low heat for 10 minutes on each side and then another 5 minutes per side. It was just about the tenderest, juiciest piece of chicken I've ever had.

Try it! You'll love it!

photo credits

3 comments:

Peggy said...

BBQ just must not be a "TODD" Huffaker family thing...Dave's Grandpa Huffaker was a good at the BBQ, he even invented items to assist the chef--fire starter and quik coals. Dave's cousins, Andy and Aaron, are wonderful BBQ chefs... everything from bacon wrapped shrimp and salmon to shish kabobs and burgers. YOU CAN DO IT DAVE!!!

Pamela said...

Hopefully the guys won't read these comments ;) As Huffaker girls, we have our work cut out for us. Someday we'll have our own full size grille so that I can teach Mark the fine art of bbq.

The chicken sounds great! I should give you my dad's chicken baste recipe, it's so good!

Nathan and Lisa said...

That sounds good! Can you put the chicken on the grill frozen or do you have to let it thaw first?