Friday, June 19, 2009

It's About Time (which is what it will cost to read this post)

Dave and I finally broke down and installed the internet in our home. I know, it's about time -- but we really have got along pretty well with the iPhone and Blackberry for the last several months.

Let me just tell you, though, that setting up the internet here has been the number one, absolutely most frustrating thing I have ever done in my life.

On Tuesday I opened up my brand new modem, carefully installed every phone filter throughout the house and every cable to the modem and computer, and it didn't work. I called Qwest and spoke with Ryan (whose real name was probably something more like Huang). He had me change the modem to every other phone jack in the house and it still never worked. After 90 minutes on the phone with him, he told me that it was possible they were still getting my account setup and to check it in the morning.

Wednesday morning it still wasn't connected so when I had a chance that night I called Qwest again. This time I spoke with Mike (who should be a Hsing). He couldn't do any better but promised to have a technician come look at it the next day.

Thursday I arrived home from work to find the internet finally connected. I was installing the software when Darren, the technician man came calling. He double checked everything and concurred that it all looked good. A couple of hours later, it died. I once again called Qwest and spoke with Matt (or Chung). By now, my calm demeanor was quickly turning sour. Forty-five minutes into our phone conversation, he told me that the company was pulling fiber optic cables in my area but would be done in an hour or so and all would be right by morning--likely story.

Friday morning dawned, still without the internet. From my desk at work I called Qwest, trying very hard, though unsuccessfully, not to disturb my coworkers. After being passed from Lau-Chu to Shingze, I finally told them I wanted to talk to someone in Utah who spoke American English. They sent my call to Moe (who, incidentally, was not a good-old Utahan but some other unknown nationality altogether). After relating my saga for the seventh time, Moe said she would send a technician out tomorrow. I told her that was absolutely unacceptable and that this problem would be fixed today. She then amended her statement and dispatched a technician out this afternoon.

Of course, when Trent, the technician, came calling, the internet was fully functioning. But, he was kind enough to change out the modem, just in case that was the culprit -- which, by the way, was the first plausible excuse I had heard all week long. Gratefully, hours later now, the internet is still connected and I am able to tell you this long painful story.

Thank you for listening/reading. I feel better all ready. Just one last word of advice: If you need to call Qwest Customer Service, be sure you ask Jill to help you translate.

No comments: