Monday, March 16, 2009

Strange Encounter

This morning on TRAX a portly, sort of scruffy looking gentleman boarded the train at the Planetarium station. He was standing a few seats in front of me but then moved to the seat across the aisle from mine when it vacated at the next stop. Just before we reached the Temple Square station he advanced toward my seat and asked me if I was enjoying my magazine -- The Ensign. Somewhat startled, I replied that I was very much enjoying it.

Immediately thoughts and suspicions flashed through my mind. Was this guy going to attack me physically or verbally because I was reading a religious magazine on public transportation? I remained calm and told myself that he wouldn't dare in such a crowded train and that I needed to stand firm in my witness of this periodical.

He then asked me where he could get a copy. I replied that they are available for only $1.50 in the basement of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building at the corner of South Temple and Main Street.

At this point his countenance softened a bit and his concluding question surprised me. "What does it talk about?"

I looked him in the eye and replied, "The gospel of Jesus Christ."

"The gospel of Jesus Christ," he repeated. "That's good."

The train stopped at the Temple Square station and he disembarked. I too got off at that stop only two people behind him. Out on the platform I looked to see where the man went to but he was no where to be found. I have no idea where he could have gone in the 8 seconds he was out of my sight. It's kind of eerie but I am grateful for the brief opportunity to bear my testimony of this marvelous gospel of Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Jillums said...

you should have given him your copy. That would have been cool.

Jenny Jensen said...

Hey Chelsea...this is Jenny Jensen, Dave's cousin. I found your blog on Pams :) It was good to meet you!! You and Dave are so perfect for each other!! Feel free to check out my blog if you want to!