Monday, July 14, 2008

Best Seats in the House

Last week we took our annual girls' trip down to St. George and Cedar City. This year we were only able to spend one day in Cedar City at the Shakespearean Festival but the two shows we saw were wonderful! So, here's a little review/critique of those two shows for all of you contemplating getting your dose of culture in Cedar City this summer.


First, we took in a matinee of Cyrano de Bergerac at the Auditorium Theatre. I really like this play, written by Edmond Rostand. It is a beautiful statement of how we allow our small imperfections get in the way of life. A standing ovation to Brian Vaughn and Melinda Pfundstein, real-life husband and wife, who play Cyrano and Roxane. But regardless of the stunning production and performances, I always think this play has a tragic ending. I hate that Cyrano has to go and die only minutes after Roxane finally realizes he has loved her for the past 15 years. Now that I have spoiled the finale for you, go see it for yourself. Let me know what you think.

Our evening show was The Two Gentlemen of Verona by William Shakespeare at the Adams Theatre. If you have never seen Shakespeare before or are afraid of it, this is the play for you. It is his first comedy play and you can tell he hasn't hit his groove yet of complicated characters and flowery speeches. The language of the show is incredibly easy to understand and the plot is simple yet engaging; so as long as you keep your eyes open you won't get lost. Go! See it! Experience it! Love it! And remember that the best seats in this venue are in the side gallery section...I know, they look like the cheap seats but looks can be deceiving, trust me.

I opted out of Tuacahn in St. George this year but most of the family went to their performances of Sound of Music and Les Miserables. Unfortunately, I don't think they were any too impressed with what they saw but if you're down there it makes for a fun evening activity.

Finally, I thought you would enjoy a look at the progress of my house. It's coming right along!



A front view of the garage.


This is looking into the dining area and stairs.


My back porch. I love that it has three big windows (though this only shows two windows and the door).


And a view from the garage door into the house.

No comments: