Monday, May 26, 2008

A Laborious Memorial Day

Have you ever noticed how people often get Memorial Day (today) and Labor Day (in September) confused? They seem to think the two terms are interchangeable. Today, the distinction got all mixed up even for me.

From 7:00 to 10:30 this morning I hung around Hogan Park in Woods Cross helping the City Council and Youth City Council serve breakfast to 1,000 local residents. Mind you, it was pouring rain and very cold all morning long. I didn't mind the work so much but the weather was miserable.

By 11:00 a.m. I found myself at Daniel and Megan's apartment washing walls. They moved into their new house in Lehi on Saturday and today I was kindly volunteered to help clean their rental unit. We worked for 4-plus hours only stopping for a quick lunch. We washed walls, baseboards, blinds, light fixtures, the refrigerator, the oven, the bathroom, the kitchen, cabinets, cupboards, and more.

At 3:30 I finally got my shower for the day and soon Jennie and Nick and the kids showed up for dinner. As much as I love to cook, on a day like this it is work. And, of course the entire kitchen had to be cleaned once dinner was over.

Needless to say, I am exhausted for all the labor I performed this Memorial Day. Maybe I can trade it in on Labor Day and make that a quiet day of reflection and rememberance. One can only hope!

1 comment:

Megan Di said...

I'm sorry, but you did NOT cook dinner yesterday. Yes, you did help clean up but I did not see you at all until the dinner bell rang. Geeze! :)