Friday, May 2, 2008

What will you do with your Stimulus Check?

"Congress and the White House [intend for] all patriotic Americans to promptly cash [the stimulus] checks and spend 'em, thus boosting aggregate demand in the economy, and warding off the oncoming recession.... [Yada, yada, yada. People are spending more than they have and maxing out their credit cards.] ...Living beyond our means is supposed to be a bad thing, but when times get really hard, we are supposed to open up our pocketbooks even more, instead of attempt to balance our personal budgets....

"I'm going to take my check and use it to pay off some of my credit card debt. Call me a traitor, but I'd rather have no finance fees than a new TV.

"What are you going to do with your check?"
(Excerpts taken from a post by Andrew Leonard, Feb 8, 2008.)

Then here's what some people had to say in response: "Dude, I'm getting a Mac" + + "Fix my fence" + + "I'll spend it, thanks" + + "Stimulate Barack Obama!" (this is a popular plan) + + "Just send out Amazon gift certificates" + + "Buy Food" + + "Taking a trip to Miami" + + "Plan a Wedding" + + "Buying 3 metric tons of locally-grown, organic rhubarb" + + "Get the toilet fixed" + + "The government just bought me Playstation 3"

Oh, just think of the endless possibilities. There are so many things you can do with $600. The mind reels and the imagination goes into overdrive planning and dreaming and scheming. A trip to New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington DC, or Hawaii; a shopping spree in the mall; days at the spa to relieve all the tension from work; new electronic toys and gadgets; treating all my family and friends to a night out at La Calle; or perhaps even a mail order husband. The list truly is infinite.

I stopped at the bank this afternoon and my balance was $600 greater than yesterday.
I got my stimulus check!
And, guess what I did with it? No, I didn't put it away for a trip or a shopping spree or the spa...I paid down my car loan. BORING!!! and as the author above mentions, traitorous. But, what's done is done.

What will you do with your Stimulus Check?

1 comment:

BCassFam said...

Good for you! Mail order husband?