Monday, January 18, 2010

YW Lesson 3

So sometimes I get bored with the Young Women lessons. They teach the beautiful principles of the gospel but sometimes many of the stories and examples are rather out of date for today's teenage girl--just my personal opinion. Lesson 3 on Sunday was no exception and the supplement guide wasn't much help either.

The topic was Building Up the Kingdom of God through Sacrifice. Here's what I did on Sunday...

1. I printed, laminated, and cut up a picture of the Salt Lake Temple.

2. I asked myself, "What does it take to Build up the Kingdom of God?" and came up with 14 one-word answers (including sacrifice, courage, strength, faith, virtue, etc -- some catch words from personal progress and this year's mutual theme).

3. I scrambled up the letters in those 14 answers and as the girls unscrambled them we built the Salt Lake Temple piece by piece from the ground up.

4. We watched "Only a Stonecutter" about John Rowe Moyle who helped to build the Salt Lake Temple despite living a long distance from the temple site and having a wooden leg.

5. I finally returned to the lesson manual and talked more about the things we might be asked to sacrifice to help Build up the Kingdom of God.

Now, while this all sounds good in theory and on paper it didn't turn out quite like I had hoped it would, because I focused too much on putting together the first parts of the lesson and didn't learn the book part well enough to deliver it effectively. Still, I think the girls really enjoyed the activity and the movie during the first half of class. I know I did!

1 comment:

Peggy said...

As a current YW President I agree on the lessons. LOVE your ideas!