Thursday, October 2, 2008

178th Semiannual General Conference

Tonight I'm enjoying an evening of calm before the storm. Rain and cold temperatures are in the forecast for the weekend here along the Wasatch Front. But, you also mustn't forget that bright and early tomorrow morning begins the 178th Semiannual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Since most of you readers get to lounge around the house in your pajamas eating hot buttered popcorn with dark chocolate m&ms during the next couple of days, I want to let you know just exactly what you'll be missing at the Conference Center front lines.


Saturday, October 4
4:30 a.m. -- alarm sounds
5:30 a.m. -- leave for Salt Lake
6:00 a.m. -- greet and mingle with the Guest Service Missionaries
6:30 a.m. -- prayer meeting in the Tabernacle
7:30 a.m. -- breakfast and take care of any last-minute needs
10:00 a.m. -- first conference session begins
10:30 a.m. -- meet leaders of the visiting primary choir
11:00 a.m. -- 367 primary children ages 8-12 arrive
12:00 p.m. -- primary choir snack time
1:00 p.m. -- take primary children to the choir loft
2:00 p.m. -- second conference session begins
3:00 p.m. -- 364 elders of the visiting priesthood choir arrive
4:00 p.m. -- exit primary choir from the building to safely meet their chaperones
5:00 p.m. -- take priesthood choir to the choir loft
6:00 p.m. -- third (or priesthood) conference session begins
8:00 p.m. -- exit priesthood choir from the building
9:00 p.m. -- return home, early to bed

Sunday, October 5
4:30 a.m. -- alarm sounds
5:30 a.m. -- leave for Salt Lake
6:00 a.m. -- greet and mingle with the Guest Service Missionaries
6:30 a.m. -- prayer meeting in the Tabernacle
7:30 a.m. -- breakfast and take care of any last-minute needs
10:00 a.m. -- fourth conference session begins
12:30 p.m. -- meet up with a cute boy
2:00 p.m. -- fifth conference session begins
4:00 p.m. -- return home, exhausted


Now I know you're all sad to have to stay home and miss the fun at the Conference Center. Just let me know when you're ready and I'll get you signed up as a Guest Service Missionary or Event Coordinator Missionary so you can come join the front lines with us.

Because you are all such devoted readers of my blog (and made it this far down), I'm going to let you in on two little secrets about conference.

1. We have three more primary children than we have chairs in the choir loft. They have all worked so hard to prepare for tomorrow that we couldn't tell the extras to stay home. So, the solution is to let those three children sit on folding chairs above the choir. When they all stand up to sing the three kids will fill in the back row between the center and left sections. You'll have to watch for them.

2. Louie is a great boss and because I'll be working so hard on Saturday, he has given me permission to go off-duty for the last session of conference. I'll still be in the building but I'll get to sit and watch the last session with Dave!

Despite the hectic schedule I keep during General Conference, I love this time of year! It is such a privilege every six months to help put on the most important meeting held in the Church. Sometimes I just have to stop and marvel at how I arrived at this place. What a wonderful blessing!

2 comments:

Cook Zoo said...

The children were magnificent, and my own children at home were captivated when they saw those primary children singing "I Am a Child of God." Thanks for sharing your schedule with us. I've often wondered what goes on behind the scenes. :)

Annie said...

I love the insight of general conference. It sounds like it was exhausting, but good. I'm sure your glad that weekend is over.