Tuesday, March 4, 2008

You Can Check Off That Goal

Megan and I took a little road trip up to Rexburg, Idaho over the weekend. She went to visit a high school friend who attends BYU-Idaho and I went up for the ride. We arrived mid-afternoon on Friday. With Megan at her friend's dorm on campus I was left in a very quiet hotel room so I jumped in the car and drove 25 miles back to Idaho Falls and went to a session in the temple. (New temple #1 for 2008.)

Saturday I took the two girls to breakfast and a little shopping. Back in my hotel I tried to figure out what you do in this small town for fun. Coming up blank I picked up the girls again and we dropped in at the Rexburg temple; they did baptisms and I snuck into a session 2 1/2 hours earlier than my appointment. (New temple #2 for 2008.)

But now Megan and I had the whole evening open and nothing to do. We searched through the local phone book and tourist guide in the hotel room. We took a gander at the brochure rack in the lobby which was filled with pamphlets for activities in Utah. What to do? What to do? Luckily, this sleepy town did have a movie theater.

We ended up at "27 Dresses" with Katherine Heigl. The theater filled up fast, mostly with women: many college coeds and many married women out with the girls on a Saturday night. (Wonder what the husbands do while the wives are out in sleepy Rexburg...). I enjoyed the movie but I had to listen to commentaries from the girls behind us throughout the show, "That is the ugliest shirt I've ever seen!" "Oh, he is sooooo cute!" "They swore!" It got kind of annoying.

I'm glad to be home and back in a city that offers a bit more than a temple and a movie theater. However, I am also very grateful to have accomplished the goal I made in my last post of doing ordinance work in two never-before-visited temples. Check mark on that one...now to move on to the several that remain.

1 comment:

BCassFam said...

Chelsea is in the land of blogging. We are so excited!!! Sounds like Idaho was a blast. It kinda made SLC look like NYC.