Saturday, November 22, 2008

Friday's Travelogue

Forgive me in advance for this travelogue but I'm still recovering from the crazy day I had yesterday at work and I think a little blogging is just what I need to finish decompressing.

My Friday began bright and early with an ICS Training in the terrace multipurpose room and a PST Meeting in the media room. All went well!

At 10:30 a.m. I commenced making the rounds to check on my 4 lunch-hour events. (Essentially, I needed to be four places at once to make sure all these events got started but because I am only one person it was a little difficult.)

I started at the main floor auditorium with a CHH Lecture. My client and the A/V support weren't there yet so I opened the door, turned on the lights, and sent a few text messages to the key players letting them know I was around checking on other events but to call if they needed anything.

Next I ran up to the west observation room and was glad to see that catering was already there working on their setup for the FCH Luncheon. Then I crossed over to the east side and things looked good there too.

Back down to the street I made a dash for the ICS Luncheon at the Devereaux House (which is more than 3 blocks away). I was running late but catering was on time and had the building opened for my client. Then we noticed the screen for the projector was missing. A/V scurried over but in the meantime the client decided they could use the wall just as well as a screen. So much for the panic call to A/V.

Once they settled in I walked the 3+ blocks back to the east observation room to personally greet this client at their MIS Luncheon. I found chaos. Apparently, the client felt the tables were too crowded, so an extra table was added and then a glass of water toppled over, drenching the tablecloth and everything around it...and the lunch was only five minutes away from starting. Catering worked hard and fast to put everything back to order.

I was about to go back to my office to eat lunch during a 30-minute break when my client for a 5th meeting called to order more chairs at their ICS Guest Lecture. I didn't want to bother staging so I detoured back to the Relief Society Room and set out the extra dozen chairs myself. By the time I finished it was too late to grab lunch. Catering soon arrived and my client arrived. Then we realized that only half the food order had been delivered and we needed a trash can. Some very last minute phone calls were made and the issues remedied. However, there were still a whole lot of empty chairs when I left.

Finally, I had a respite at my desk to eat lunch and answer emails. Sadly, that wasn't the end of the day. Later in the afternoon I ran to the recording studio and horseshoe to check on those event setups and then right back to the Devereaux House to start an ICS Dinner. They needed some homey ambiance and wanted all the fireplaces lit. That took some doing and still two weren't working by the time I left.

Phew! It was an exhausting work day and I am so glad to have it over with. And many thanks to you for being a listening ear while I got all this off my chest. :)

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Your crazy day makes my life as a stay-at-home mom seem not so hard after all!